01 January 2008

Uncle Wiggly and other Tidbits from New Year's Day

Holy Crap...two posts in one day! I'm on pace for 730 posts this year...

The OWTK 4 had a nice New Year's Day. Surprisingly, I saw almost no football...I guess the bowl games at the end of a bizarre college football season did not hold enough interest to get me to flip on the day's games. Instead I, along with the Mrs. and the Bear, was a cooking and baking machine. We made a batch of chocolate chip and a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies, and also made the Mouse three batches of food for the rest of the week: Pear-Raspberry-Kiwi, Potato-Corn-Carrots-Peas, and Sweet Potato-Onion-Carrot. We love making baby food, trying to make at least one veggie and one fruit per week, then supplement with Earth's Best or Organic Baby jarred food.
Oh! I also made pancakes (from scratch - I don't do pancake mixes) for breakfast, turkey clubs for lunch (using Niman Ranch Bacon - wow is this stuff good!) and chicken saltimbocca for dinner (chicken with prosciutto and fontina cheese) with rice. So in between cooking, I was doing dishes like a mad man.

The Mouse pulled herself up for the first time this afternoon, at age 7 months and 3 days. She has been doing the army crawl for the past couple weeks and is moving fast now, but has not yet crawled on her hands and knees. Maybe she will skip that whole step and just start walking. That'd be cool. This was the year of the board game as Christmas gift (the Bear got 5 from her family members!) and the yet unopened ones are serving as little sleds/boats for the Mouse. She loves climbing on top of
Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham game and staring at the colorful box from above it. Pretty cute stuff. Days like this make me wish I could spend every day at home with my kids, they were both adorable pretty much all day. The Bear even rolled the Mouse into her room while in her walker and spent a good 1/2 hour alone with her - reading books and playing peek-a-boo.

After Mouse hit the hay, the three of us played Uncle Wiggly - a fun little game like Candyland but instead of colors you work the counting thing. The Mrs. beat the Bear by one. I was 39 spaces back just waiting to pounce. I had them both right where I wanted 'em!

A nice start to a new year. Thanks for hanging out with OWTK in 2007...we hope to see you around for another 365 days.

No comments: