23 June 2008

The Dishwasher and the Sick Bear

At 10:20 this morning my office phone rang. The area code was local but the number didn't ring a bell. That's never a good thing. That kinda call means only one thing - one of my kids has fallen ill and must be collected without delay. Today was the Bear's turn to spend an unexpected day at home. She had a fever of 102 and was asleep on the floor of the school office by the time I arrived.

She spent the remainder of the day in and out of bed, mine and hers, and on the sofa watching Singin' in the Rain.

I, Mr. Productive, on the other hand, used the day as a chance to get caught up on laundry, work on ye olde t-shirt shop and to run then subsequently empty (the worst part) the dishwasher. For the later I usually depend on a fine 7th Generation automatic dishwasher product but have noticed during recent cycles that not all grim is being removed from the dishes, specifically the butter knives and the pint glasses. Soooo, to make a long story short (too late) last week I started to use Cascade Complete. Now, I don't make it a habit to blog about such household items but boy-o-boy the difference between the "green" brand and the conventional is, in this case at least, painfully obvious. While I'm not impressed with the scare-you-to-death warnings the bottle carries I am quite pleased with the results. I just have to be doubly-safe to keep this potential WMD away from the wee-ones.

Oh, I also ran this by my mom (yeah, a 32 year old dude and his mom sometimes chat via the telephone about washing dishes - got a problem with that?) and she chipped-in this helpful nugget of info: Cascade Complete is the only kind of dish washing detergent that doesn't leave a bizarre white film on her real silver utensils...interesting, no?

Got two loads of laundry done too - my stuff along with the kid's clothes. The Mrs. doesn't allow me near her pile, affectionately and accurately named Clothes Mountain, any longer since I destroyed her beautiful yellow $65 Eddie Bauer skirt...after just one wear. I mean seriously, why does anyone buy anything that can't stand up to being dried for an hour or so at 150 degrees?

An evening of rotating between Motrin and Tylenol awaits - oh joy.

1 comment:

Superdumb Supervillain said...

Not to sound like an infomercial, but I have been reviewing a new dishwashing line that is supposed to be safer for babies and kids and it removes some seriously stubborn ick... I haven't posted about it yet but will be doing a giveaway when I do, keep an eye out.

http://www.dapplebaby.com/

p.s. hope the bear feels better soon

and i can't believe your mom puts real silver in the dishwasher!