15 September 2009

A Very Brave Witch - DVD Review

My girls really dig the Scholastic video library we've amassed in our home. From Arnie the Doughnut to Where the Wild Things Are, there's nothing on TV better than what the Scholastic Storybook Treasures DVD series offers children.

A Very Brave Witch and More Great Halloween Stories for Kids is the latest collection (available 9/29/09), just in time for pumpkin pickin' season. The lead tale, adapted from the best-selling book by Alison McGhee, is about a witch who overcomes her fear of humans and finds that we're not so bad after all. It's a funny concept, one that reminds me of the hilarious book Vunce Upon A Time.

The Witch in the Cherry Tree, one of the other 7 animated shorts included here, makes me think of Caillou a bit, with it's relaxed Mom and clever, curious son motif. It's rather excellent. The girls love it.

I don't let my young children sit in front of the screen all that often, but when I do I trust Scholastic Storybook Treasures DVDs to provide wholesome, fun entertainment. This new set of Halloween goodies is perfect for kids ages 2-7.

*Disclosure: Scholastic provided OWTK with a copy of this DVD for review.

No comments: