12 September 2006

OWTK Monthly Music Suggestions - September 2006

Oh, do we have some good ones for you this month! Gather the children, it's time for OWTK's September music picks!

But first a quick aside regarding last month's suggestions.

In August I recommended Alexi Murdoch's "Orange Sky" and provided a link to the kexp.org live version. I have since purchased his "Time Without Consequence" album and it is quite good (got it on iTunes just before heading up to Maine). Now, we have it in the car (which is where we wind up listening to most new music) and our girl has really taken to it. There is nothing quite like a beautiful little girl singing "My salvation is in your love" over and over again. I don't think I could ever tire of that.

Ok, I am tearing up a bit...On to September's selections:


Creedence Clearwater Revival "Lookin' Out My Back Door" from "Chronicle Vol. 1"

A classic song from a great band. Very singable and catchy for the young ones. Plus, the lyrics are a riot, which you may not realize if you, like me, have heard this song so much on classic rock radio over the years that is becomes the kind of tune you can sing along to without even hearing the words you are using. Funny how that happens.

"Tambourines and elephants are playing in the band.
Wont you take a ride on the flyin spoon?
Doo, doo doo."

The Twilight Singers "That's Just How That Bird Sings" from "Twilight as Played by The Twilight Singers"

The Afghan Whigs "If I Only Had a Heart" from "Honkey's Ladder" ep

In honor of the amazing news that my favorite band of all time, The Afghan Whigs, are reuniting for a recording session (and hopefully a tour...fingers-crossed) to put a few new songs onto a retrospective being released by Rhino records, I offer the finest cut from Greg Dulli's post-AW outfit, The Twilight Singers. "That's Just How This Bird Sings" was included on their debut album, and recorded before the falling out between Dulli and Satchel lead singer Shawn Smith who, along with Dulli and Harold Chichester, were the original founders and vocalists of The Singers. This tune is flat-out gorgeous, with all three gentlemen trading verses - their words floating above watery instrumentation.

I would love to suggest an original Afghan Whigs song, but, as any fan would know, there are few that could be considered kid-friendly. They tend to be a little too, ummm, sexy. Instead, I offer up their cover of "If I only had a heart" of Wizard of Oz fame, which I give you, is a bit on the sexy-side. I promise you have never heard a version quite like this. I saw The Whigs peform this cover live in New York, at Irving Plaza, many years ago. Mr. Dulli sauntered onto the stage to begin an encore in a top hat, velvet jacket, bottle of wine, and a single red rose between his teeth. He then sang this song to the security guard position in front of the stage, in the "pit". Classic Afghan Whigs.

Marc Johnson "Dingy-Dong Day" from "The Sound of Summer Running"

An upbeat, pleasant, and danceable instrumental jazz number from bassist Marc Johnson (with guitarists Pat Metheny, Bill Frissell and drummer Joey Baron). OWTK strongly believes in exposing the youth of today to Jazz music. This is an unassuming and accessible place to start.

Simon & Garfunkel "At The Zoo" from "Bookends"

A nice little tale of our animal friends at the zoo told as only Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel can. It has everything needed for a great song for kids. Short, fun, catchy, and as a bonus - it mentions eight different animals!

Just check out these lyrics:

"Someone told me
Its all happening at the zoo.

I do believe it,
I do believe its true.

Its a light and tumble journey
From the east side to the park;
Just a fine and fancy ramble
To the zoo.

But you can take the crosstown bus
If its raining or its cold,
And the animals will love it
If you do.

Somethin tells me
Its all happening at the zoo.

The monkeys stand for honesty,
Giraffes are insincere,
And the elephants are kindly but
Theyre dumb.
Orangutans are skeptical
Of changes in their cages,
And the zookeeper is very fond of rum.

Zebras are reactionaries,
Antelopes are missionaries,
Pigeons plot in secrecy,
And hamsters turn on frequently.
What a gas! you gotta come and see
At the zoo."

Willie Nelson "On the Sunny Side of the Street" from "Stardust"

Nelson's version of Sunny side of the street is a perfect Willie moment. Relaxed, down home, and enjoyable. I could listen to him sing the Yellow Pages. Your kids should enjoy this song very much.

Waylon Jennings "You Asked Me To" from "Honkey Tonk Heroes"

Mr. Jenning's offering caught my attention from the minute I heard it. Even the title rings true! It is so hard to say no to my little girl. I often feel I would do anything for her, just because she asked me to - needless to say I like singing this one to her. This number is very catchy and singable - "Let the world call me a fool..."


If you would like to purchase any of these fine selections for your own music library, please visit your local independent record shop (should one still exist in your town). If you prefer to purchase online or digitally, click on either the Amazon.com or iTunes link to the right (you may need to scroll down a bit). By doing so, you will be helping to support this site (which you love deeply, we know). We will owe you a big hug if we ever cross paths. Thanks in advance!

Want to see what songs were suggested last month?

Enjoy the music!

Disclaimer: If you are the artist, band, label, or publisher of a song featured on OWTK and would not like your track to be available in digital form, Simply email us and we will remove it.

Jeff

Out With The Kids

http://www.outwiththekids.com/

3 comments:

Idaho Dad said...

Great suggestions! I'm a big fan of Willie, but I haven't played any of his songs for the kids yet.

Anonymous said...

In addition to "Ding-Dong Day", may I say the entire Marc Johnson album is absolutely perfect for kids and adults. It is the quintessential Springtime/Summertime record... from it's theme to the cover layout to that "warm" feeling you get listening to it. A lot of my non-jazz listening friends now swear by this album. Makes you want to make a big pitcher of lemonade.

Anonymous said...

I have three kids, 12, 7 and 3 - and I can say without a shadow of a doubt - They Might Be Giants, album titled 'No', is a superb backseat arguement stopper. Clever lyrics and very quickly remembered.