16 November 2008

Fids and Kamily 2008 Awards - My Ballot

Congrats to Justin Roberts for taking top prize in this year's Fids and Kamily Awards. His latest album "Pop Fly" is more than deserving of the honor of being considered 2008's best kids and family record. I called "Pop Fly" the best kid's music album ever, so the fact that it won best of the year doesn't surprise at all.

For the 2nd year in a row I was pleased and humbled to be a part of the F&K process as an official judge. Like last year, I was asked to write the Fids and Kamily review for one of the top 10 CDs. In 2007 I was privileged enough to pen the short review of the #1 album, Gustafer Yellowgold's "Have You Never Been Yellow". This time around I chipped in for the #10 disc Danielle Sansone's gorgeous "Two Flowers".

Here is how my personal ballot looked this year:


1) "Pop Fly" Justin Roberts
2) "Yes to Running" Bill Harley
3) "Family Tree" Frances England
4) "Dragonfly Races" Ellis Paul
5) "Music for a Green Planet" Hayes Greenfield
6) "Here Comes Brady Rymer and the Little Band That Could" Brady Rymer
7) "Two Flowers" Danielle Sansone
8) "Tabby Road" Recess Monkey
9) "I Count to Ten and Other Very Helpful Songs" David Tobocman
10) "Little Songs" Brian Vogan

A little disappointed that Ellis Paul didn't get more love from my fellow judges. "Dragonfly Races" is a terrific album that has held up all year long. Also a little surprised I only matched on 4 of the top ten this year. Guess that proves just how much quality kiddie music is being released year after year.

Next week I will post my top ten kids and family songs of 2008.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff!

I agree with your disappointment with Ellis Paul not getting enough "love." I have to say he was one of our top picks. The task of whittling down to just 10 out of all the great releases was not easy - so much great music!

Keep up the great work.

Sienna & Persephone
Hilltown Family Variety Show